MTR Elizabeth line (MTREL) is an award-winning UK train operator delivering the Elizabeth line for London.
London's newest railway
At MTREL, we believe in the power of London’s railway network to connect families, friends, colleagues and communities.
We were awarded the Elizabeth line concession by Transport for London (TfL) in July 2014, initially operating services under the interim TfL Rail branding, connecting Paddington to Reading and Heathrow in the west, and Liverpool Street with Shenfield in the east.
In May 2022, the new Central Section was opened by Her Majesty the Queen, officially launching the new Elizabeth line and offering passengers a new way to travel initially between Paddington and Abbey Wood via Liverpool Street.
The Elizabeth line is the most significant addition to London’s transport network in a generation, providing new journey options, cutting travel time and supporting regeneration across the capital.
We are incredibly proud to be part of this transformative new railway, providing world-class customer service and performance.
Connecting people and communities
MTR is an internationally recognised railway network builder and operator.
Operated by MTREL (a subsidiary of MTR Corporation), the Elizabeth line is part of the TfL network and has interchanges with the London Underground, DLR, London Overground and National Rail services. It’s introduction to the capital has increased central London’s rail capacity by 10 per cent – shrinking London and connecting more communities than ever before.
With a reputation for keeping cities moving, MTR Elizabeth line is responsible for:
- Running train services safely and on time. From the Fleet team who work with suppliers to ensure the reliability of our trains, to our dedicated Drivers and Control colleagues.
- Providing excellent service to assist customers from the first train in the morning until the last train at night, keeping ticket offices open and dispatching trains.
- Keeping our stations and trains clean, safe, and secure for the benefit of customers and colleagues.
- Working closely with industry partners such as Transport for London and Network Rail to ensure we continue to offer the highest standard of service every day.
Committed to excellence
To meet our ambitions and deliver a world-leading experience for millions of passengers, we rely on a dedicated and growing workforce. Our MTR Elizabeth line colleagues represent the diversity of our great city and the surrounding areas, offering excellent career opportunities to the people who live and work here.
We are delighted to be creating jobs for people across the region, having welcomed over 1,000 new colleagues, 75% of whom are from local communities, while facilitating over 500 apprenticeships.
To find out more about the opportunities available at MTR Elizabeth line, visit our Careers site.
Since 2018, we've won many awards for our operational expertise and cultural excellence. Take a look at some of them below:
- Modern Railways and the Institute of Rail Operators: Golden Whistle Award - Best On Time Performance
- National Rail Awards: Outstanding Personal Contribution: Rizwan Javed
- Underground in Bloom: Garden of the year for mental health: West Ealing
- National Rail Heritage Awards: National Railway Heritage Award for Operational Enhancement: West Ealing
- National Apprenticeship Awards: Large Employer of the Year (London region)
- National Rail Awards: Outstanding Personal Contribution (Management), Katrina Treacy; and Outstanding Teamwork Award
- National Transport Awards: Apprenticeship Employer of the Year
- Personnel Today Awards: Apprenticeship Employer of the Year
- BQF Excellence Awards: Excellence in Community Engagement
- Ranked No. 5 in the Top 100 Apprenticeship Employers in England
- EFQM accreditation from the British Quality Foundation (BQF): Five-star EFQM accreditation for excellence
- National Transport Awards: Rail Operator of the Year (MTR Corporation Ltd – TfL Rail)
- Women in Rail Awards: Diversity and Inclusion Award
- ENEI Awards: Apprenticeship Award 2019; and Small Employer of the Year 2019
- Institute of Customer Service (ICS): ServiceMark accreditation
- HR Excellence Awards 2018: Most effective recruitment strategy